Chief Compliance Officer
Email: [email protected]
Mr. Thomas J. O’Rourke is Founder & Director for TAKADA Asset Management. Mr. O’Rourke began his professional career in 1985 as a Field Examiner for the Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka, KS. In 1989, he transferred to the Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) and relocated in May of 1990 to the Northeast Region as a Senior Examiner. In July 2011, he transferred to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) pursuant to the Dodd-Frank Act and subsequently retired in 2013. Mr. O’Rourke has coordinated the efforts of up to 35 assisting examiners and produced numerous reports of examination and corrective action plans. Mr. O’Rourke is an Accredited Federal Thrift Regulator and Certified Compliance Examiner.
Of additional note, is that Mr. O’Rourke served 26 years (concurrent with OTS/OCC time) in the United States Military Reserve Component and retired in 2011 from service as an Emergency Manager for the 108th Civil Engineering Squadron of the New Jersey Air National Guard (USAF), McGuire AFB New Jersey.
In March 2013, Mr. O’Rourke commenced a three-year term appointment as the Assistant Director for Bank Supervision at the Bermuda Monetary Authority. Mr. O’Rourke led a team of eight professionals and conducted Supervision for a banking sector of ~$24 billion, with considerable trust, investment and asset management activity. Since 2017, Mr. O’Rourke has provided independent consulting services in the Bermuda financial sector.
Mr. O’Rourke was born in New York, and holds an Associates Degree in Emergency Management from the Community College of the Air Force; a BA in Economics from Bethany College, Lindsborg, KS; a Masters in Finance & Accounting from the Keller Graduate School of Management, Chicago, IL; a Masters in Practical Theology from Regent University School of Divinity, Virginia Beach, VA; and a Masters in Organizational Leadership from Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT.
Oyster Consulting (Bermuda) July 2017 – Present
Joined this Bermuda-based Consultancy to maintain professional connections to financial sector. Completed an assignment as Interim Head of AML/MLRO for a Bermuda-based bank and now serving as the Principal Representative of the Bermuda Bankers Association.
Vivier Financial Services dba Millennium Bank Ltd (St. Lucia) May 2016 – May 2017
Advisory Board Member and Compliance Adviser
Appointed to serve as a key advisor to the firm’s CEO, consulting on issues relating to jurisdictional licensing, compliance, AML policy/procedures and regulatory matters.
Bermuda Monetary Authority (Bermuda) March 2013 – January 2016
Assistant Director, Banking Supervision
Led a team of seven in prudential supervision of four local commercial banks with $24B in assets and $2B+ in regulatory capital (Bermuda’s banking sector accounts for 400%+ of island GDP). Addressed emerging risk from financial technology and cyber threats with each Bank through Operational Risk & Information Technology risk assessments.
- Instituted a series of regulatory reforms and a 5% leverage ratio to improve capital adequacy and counter speculative lending and investing practices threatening island’s economy:
- Adopted Basel Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) test, more rigorous underwriting practices and real estate valuation procedures, and tightened corporate governance procedures which improved credit risk
- Revived dormant Basel III policy project, providing transparency for banks to view regulatory methodology:
- Led team through three rounds of drafting/industry consultation and delivery of final policy document, implemented guidance on financial reporting and revised internal supervisory capital review process (comparable to CCAR, ICAAP) used to evaluate each Bank’s capital levels and underlying strategy
- Partnered with Banking Supervision Team in promulgating three Guidance Notes covering improved Supervisory Loan to Value Requirements, reporting Troubled Debt Restructurings and providing supervisory requirements for Capital Stress Testing.
U.S. Department of the Treasury (Washington, D.C.) 1985 – 2013
Examiner in Charge/Team Lead, Large Bank Division Office of Thrift Supervision (1985 – 2011), Office of the Comptroller of Currency (2011 to 2013)
Led teams (~35 examiners) in annual safety, soundness and compliance examinations of 100+ federally insured banks/thrifts and financial service holding companies/international conglomerates ($500M to $500B consolidated assets).
- Provided expertise in risk management, corporate governance and regulatory compliance to agency leadership and policy development professionals charged with instituting regulatory reforms following three business cycles placing material stress on the banking system (1989 – 1991, post 9/11, 2007 – 2010).
- Assigned to lead two difficult supervisory cases during 2008 – 2010 financial crisis, due to demonstrated ability to understand impact of derivatives exposures, liquidity risk and counterparty credit risk.
New Jersey Air National Guard (McGuire AFB, N.J.) 1991 – 2011
Emergency Manager, 108th Civil Engineering Squadron (ANG) (Concurrent Service)
Maintained readiness of installation and base populace (1,000+ troops, contractors, visitors) for natural disasters, major accidents and enemy attacks on USAF installations in both U.S. and overseas locations. Coordinated emergency response actions of Survival Recovery Center, ensuring 24/7 aircraft generation and a continuously open airfield. Deployed three times to Oman (1) and Iraq (2) in support of combat operations:
- Developed, updated and tested Base Recovery Plans containing 100+ contingent procedures to be employed during/after base attacks, with impact on 600+ people and $25M+ in coalition assets.
- Following each base attack (weekly on average), led reconnaissance teams (10 to 15 members) in detection of presence of conventional explosives, chemical and or biological agents with 100% detection rate for conventional ordnance.
Quinnipiac University, Master of Science, Organizational Leadership (Hamden, CT) (2018)
Regent University School of Divinity, Master of Arts, Practical Theology (Virginia Beach, VA) (2013)
Keller Graduate School of Management, Master of Accounting and Finance (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) (2008)
Community College of the United States Air Force, Associates Degree in Emergency Management (2007)
Bethany College, Bachelor of Arts (Lindsborg, KS) (1982)
Federal Thrift Regulator, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury (Washington, DC) (1989)
Hazmat Technician and Operations Manager, National Fire Protection Association (2007)