Director of Business Development and Marketing
Email: [email protected]
Mr. Sonjay Reygan is a graduate in Food Tech & Engineering University of Reading and Post Grad Diploma in Finance HEC Paris. He has over 30 years experience in FMCG (fast moving consumer goods), Commodity Trading (Oil & Gas) and Private Equity (family offices). Mr. Reygan has served at senior management level with global corporations Booker Plc, Chanel. Receipt Benckiser, Kingfisher Plc (Superdrug Plc) & Ecolog in Europe, Asia, Middle East & the US.
Mr. Reygan’s roles in leadership teams include: Sales & Marketing Director, Director of Business Development, Executive Vice President / GM (SADP / Luxe Brands Inc) and Chief Commercial Officer.
Mr. Reygan is highly driven in areas of emerging markets, people, brand, sales growth, P+L , KPI metrics and sustainability,
Mr. Reygan has specialist experience in business development of Joint Ventures, Mergers & Acquisitions and Distribution markets across Europe, Asia, China, India, Middle East, Sub Saharan Africa and the US. Mr. Reygan is further experienced in senior roles globally in sales, marketing, business development and general management.
Mr. Reygan has strong and proven general managerial and interpersonal skills. He has strong financial acumen which he has demonstrated in the following areas: P+L and cash flow management, gross margin enhancement, procurement, logistics solutions, brand expertise, new product development, category management & legal / commercial contracts negotiations.
Mr. Reygan has proven experience in effective business strategy & planning, due diligence, private equity financing and business re-structuring and turnaround including SME and large corporations.
Mr. Reygan is multi-lingual (6 languages) and multi-cultural. He is an effective communicator with a keen eye for detail and a capacity for lateral thinking and rapid assimilation. Mr. Reygan has developed leadership skills and decision making capacity. Mr. Reygan has a keen understanding of people, processes, milestones, KPI metrics (GP, costs, P+L, ROI, ROCE) & is results driven
Mr. Reygan’s industry specialisation sectors include FMCG, Luxury Goods, Retail, Logistics, Commodity Trading, Financial Services.
Over 25 years’ experience primarily in FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) and luxury goods in sales, marketing & General Management level in Europe, Asia, US and the Middle East. Latterly experienced in commodity trading in oil and gas. Fluent in 5 languages: French, German, Spanish, Hindi, Urdu. Extremely strong skills set in Brand Management, International Distribution, Business Development, Commercial Management, Sales & Marketing, General Management, Joint Ventures, Distribution networks, Pricing & Margin Analytics, Leadership, P+L responsibility, logistics and legal. Seeking a Senior VP role in International Business Development / Commercial Director.
- Commodity Trading Director since 2013 – built and developed a $150 m book of trades in the mid distillates category. Successfully bid on government and defence tenders in fuel in Arabian Gulf and Africa. Part of leadership team that commissioned oil terminal in Basra, Iraq with 30,000 m3 storage of gasoil and originated supply chain contracts with refineries
- Business GM Luxe Brands Inc.- developed sales in 24 months from $5 m to $27 m net
- Developed the Ari Grande fragrance brand from start up to net annual sales of $18 m
- Launched into 5000 doors in the US within 2 years and opened UK, Germany & Mexico
- Developed new market entry plans for Supermax shaving company and increased international export revenues by 20% year on year in mens shaving and toiletries
- Co-founded Farmacia wellness pharmacy chain in UK exited to investors in 2008 and built revenues from start up to $15 m net annually. Exited to GEHE Pharma Germany
- Developed two Joint Ventures in China in Detergents (Power 28) & Cosmetics (YSK – Coty) worth US$35.0 M and $25.0 M net sales respectively and 15% EBITDA
01.2017 to current:
IQ Corp Ltd UK; CCO/
- Commodities Trading Director in government and commercial sector in three commodities: gasoil, gasoline, aviation fuel. Specific focus in Hon of Africa managing a $xxx m book.
- Non Exec Director roles with various cosmetics / FMCG companies assisting their launches into 20,000 outlets in North America and 5000 outlets in Europe
- Business Development Director International role with a NBFI Malta based Financial Services Fund supporting their fund raising efforts in asset management portfolio.
12.2014 to 12.2016:
LUXE Brands Inc. / Designer Parfums SA- US$100 M
Exec Vice President / GM – Miami, USA & London, UK
- Leading business re-structure of a business unit with net sales US$4 M in 2014 and with transformation into $25 M within 18 months to Dec 2015 through the “Celebrity” Ariana Grande fragrance launch in the US & international & the launch of Hawaiian Tropic brand (2016) license in 5000 doors in the US and in 10 international markets in Europe and Asia
- Full responsibility for brand management and marketing budget of 20% of net sales with two direct reports of Marketing Manager, NY office staff of 4 VP Marketing and VP Sales.
- Full responsibility of annual budget development together with CFO and production forecasting, Cost of Goods, appointment of contract manufacturing and sourcing all raw materials.
- Responsible for distribution, brand management / rebranding / PR skincare brand DDF in USand LATAM. Developed this in 50% of the 600 ULTA stores network
- Responsibility for online www.DDF.com Developing sales from $2.0 m to $5.0 m net sale
- Supervised forecasting & production via third party outsourcing and all NPD.
- Developed the Jean Patou luxury fragrance brand in distribution to $3.0 m annual net sales in prestige fragrance in US as well as Porsche Design launch, Josie Natori fragrance licence.
- Managed all LUXE Brands P&L and staff of 45 including Finance, IT, HR, Logistics Sales, and
- Marketing and all external consultants. Reduced overhead cost and hit budget EBITDA
- Lead on all business processes and operations of supervising $ 25M net sales
- Head integration role in the acquisition of the Frederic Fekkai hair care brand & 5 salons from P&G. Revenues c US$40M and lead the restructuring and ERP implementation of MS Dynamics.
SKA Energy FZE, Dubai, UAE – cUS$200 M
Commercial Trading Director – Fuels
- Developed revenue origination book of c $ 160 M net sales and contract awards in 2 years
- Developed pricing and secured Contract award of 20% share of Ministry of Electricity (MoE) Iraq of 35,000 MT pm of gasoil 06/2014. Contract award 150,000 MT. (c $140 M).
- Contract award Lukoil T251/2013 est 20 M litres for 24 month period started 09/2013 and Preferred bidder status on T300/2014 for 60 K MT over 24 months import gasoil 500 ppm
- Developed pricing for BLISS US Gov Contract for US DoD of $450 M est 5 years for gasoil
- Supervising procurement operations, pricing, margin optimisation, logistics & costs, finance terms, bank liaison for Documentary LC (letters of credit) & all operations aspects of shipping, logistics document control at load and disport for clean petroleum products (CPP).
- Opened the trading bank account with BNP Paribas, Geneva and completed all KYC process.
- Involved in leadership team for commissioning of the first international storage terminal for Gasoil 25,000 m3 in Khor Al Zubair Free Zone, Basra, Iraq
- Leadership of extension to 50,000 m3 gasoil, gasoline and Jet. & Further 50,000 m3 of fuel oil for bunkering business development.
- Developed and ran the trading book with Vitol, BP and BAPCO monthly for mid distillates.
- Charted vessels (MR) for freight logistics from ST Shipping (Glencore) and BRS in London
- Delivered the RAK(UAE) aviation fuel contract for Jet A1 supplies from Shell in UAE
11.2008 – 12.2010:
SUPERMAX – CONUMER BRANDS – Dubai US$150 M
VP International Sales & Marketing
- Leader in mass market value shaving brand inc blades (disposables and systems) and male shaving toiletry accessories– no 1 market leader in EDLP in India by volume
- Responsible for development of 20 international distributors which accounted for 50% of revenues outside India was growing at +20% per annum year on year
- Key export markets included GCC, (Gulf), Iran, CIS, Africa, Europe, Latam and USA
- Recruited two key area managers in LATAM and US and increased business vs prior year by +20% in disposables.
- Supervised 4 regional managers directly reporting into me for Europe, LATAM, US, Far East and 2 logistics staff and 1 marketing analyst.
01.2002 – 08.2008:
FARMACIA Ltd London, UK – US$25 M
GM & VP Business Development
- Co-founder of wellbeing retail chain and consumer brand from $2.0 to $25.0 M
- Developed two “flagship” concession wellness pharmacy stores: Harrods & Selfridges
- From single store to 20 stores $25.0 M net sales and retail density- $1500 psf.
- Developed 200 private label brand cosmetic products with gross margin 70%
- Responsible for all product development, buying, IT HR and finance procurement.
- Lead negotiation of the 25% strategic divestment with Limited Inc. for $2.5 M
- Launched brands in Japan, Spain and Portugal in perfumery channels in Jan 2005.
- Managed 3 rounds of private equity finance placement unable to complete 4th round
- Exited and divested 10 retail units in 2008 to pharmacy shareholders (Lloyds/AAH).
07.1998 – 12. 2001:
SUPERDRUG Plc, London, UK – US1.25 Billion
General Manager – Beauty & Retail Operations
- Responsible for 25% of total merchant purchases for £200 M GBP (US$300 M) of sales in the Beauty & Toiletries (Skincare, cosmetics, personal care and fragrance) category.
- Team increased Category sales by +15% year on year through promo & new listings
- Responsibility of KPI of increase GP % margin from 47% to 52% within 12 months
- Commercial promotions budget planning, execution produced + 100-300% sales uplift
- Management of 20 buyers, technologists, finance analyst and logistics team
- Built no.2 and no 3 markets share position vs Boots No 7 brand in skin and sun care
- Lead launch of prestige fine fragrance perfumery into the mass drugstore chain
Joh A. BENCKISER GMBH / RECKITT BENCKISER PLC US$15 billion
RCI –New York –US$300 M (10.1996 – 06.1998)
General Manager / V.P. Europe – Barcelona & London
- Renaissance Cosmetics Inc (RCI- led by ex Benckiser US CEO) grew from $30 M to $300M net annual revenues within 3 years – 90% in the US and 10% in Europe.
- Built annual European net revenues to $25.0 M under tenure from an $8.0 M base.
- Grew net sales by 100% through brand re-launch of key Dana Perfumes brands. Recruited and restructured sales and marketing teams –opening 8 new distributor markets in W Europe.
- Developed new export markets in Poland and Eastern Europe through distributors.
- Turned an operating loss into a 15% EBITDA by optimising profit & cost reduction
- Direct reports 6 managers – supervised team of 50 inc manufacturing and sales.
Reckitt BENCKISER H.K. $200 M (06.1992- 05.1998)
General Manager / V.P. – Germany / HK & China
- Established Asia business regional development office first in Ludwigshafen HQ and then moved it to Hong Kong in 1992, reporting directly to the CEO / Chairman
- Joint team leader of team on M&A, joint ventures and integration of Coty Inc
- Lead the business development teams in China to establish two joint venture companies (JVC) in local leaders in Chemicals/ laundry detergents/ household cleaning and cosmetics in Wuhan – Power 28 and Shanghai
- In India started a WFOE (wholly owned subsidiary) and recruited start up management team and set up local branch office in New Delhi
- Handed all business units back to operating GM’s recruited once the JV’s formed.
- From start up in China in my portfolio teams under my leadership acquired net sales of US$35 million in laundry detergents in a 60; 40% Joint Venture with Power 28 detergents, US$15 million sales in YSK Coty JV and $10 million from exports
- Consolidated annual net sales to US$60 million were achieved under my tenure
- Direct reports eight senior managers & staff in HK regional HQ office.
06.1990 – 06.1992:
CHANEL / BOURJOIS SA – Paris –US$2 billion
Directeur Export Europe
- Export sales manager to 12 distributor markets countries for colour cosmetic and fragrances & skincare brand Bourjois – a division of Chanel SA.
- Direct export sales were approximately £12 million (120 million francs) and increased sales at 25% per annum (like for like sales achieved +10 % per annum)
- Increased market share in small southern European markets by 25% by expanding perfumery channels with distributors and through line extensions
- Managed team of 6 in Paris and subsidiaries. Reported to VP Europe & International
06. 1987 – 01.1990:
BOOKER Plc UK US$5 Billion – London & Paris
Product Manager – Food / Non-Food (VMS)
- First fresh food buyer, then Product Manager Non-Foods Category (Vitamins VMS) at Holland & Barrett (UK) 300 stores –UK’s largest health retail chain.
- Launched and developed the Holland & Barrett private label brand in Foods and VMS category to become UK No 1 leader in VMS category with 20% market share (10%)
- Increased market share to 10 % of UK market in brands and private label
- Re-located to Paris with L’ Herbier de Provence (Paris, France) as Export Manager.
- Opened 42 franchise outlets with partners in Spain, Italy, Austria, Sweden and USA.
J. Sainsbury PLC / Cargill London, UK –US$ 5 Billion
Junior Commodity Trader – Food / Meat
- Junior Trader at Head Office with responsibility in bulk food commodities procurement seconded to Cargill by J Sainsbury
- Duties included data analytics, forex, annual forecast planning, logistics, pricing, margins, and monthly procurement planning of multiples soft commodities
- Product and packaging development of private label: contributed to +35% v prior year
- Increased market share in fresh foods commodities through line extension in fresh chilled ready meals contributed to +10% margin growth.
- Reading University – UK – BSc (Hons) Food Tech & Engineering
- City Boys Grammar School, Leicester:
- 3 ‘A’ Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics); 9 ‘O’ Levels
- HEC, Paris -Finance Diploma for Non Finance Management
- (University): Mars -UK
- Marks & Spencer -UK Cadbury Schweppes -UK
- Unilever -UK
- Finalist Asian Young Entrepreneur UK 2006 – Lloyds Bank UK. BP – Advanced Traders Programme Singapore – Oct 2013
- Came 1st in Class of 70 traders program of simulations for 2 weeks