Regional Officer, China
Roy Foo is a a competent professional offering nearly 24 years of business development and origination experiences in Corporate & Investment Banking activities covering Asia (1995-2007) and Middle East (2008-2019)
- Exposure to Middle East (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman & Kuwait) and Asia (China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia) markets
- Domain experience entails exposure to sectors like manufacturing and trading, heavy industries, infrastructure and real estate
- Devised financial solutions comprising loans, trade finance product, hedging product for large size contracts, energy, construction and utility projects
- Worked for China market, supported by strong network for generating new leads, developing business and contributing to profitability
- Established a strong business network in China, including intermediaries (based in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Singapore), and Banks (amongst which include ICBC, BOC and other securities firms)
- Enhanced businesses in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Hanzhou, Shenzhen, Chengdu, and Chongqing
- Assisted in deal origination for the investment banking division; secured Syndicated Loan for Chinese Leasing Company and a Conglomerate
- Insightful experience in banking processes, products and technologies spanning core banking, channels, financial management, origination, and loans
- Administered development, implementation of business plans to deliver business objectives through origination and external professionals
Aug 08 – Present: The Commercial Bank PQSC (Based in Qatar)
Leading bank in Qatar (US$4.6bil market cap) with full banking operation and is regulated by the Qatar Central Bank.
Managing client portfolio for international (China), local conglomerates, and government & public sectors companies in Qatar.
- Contributed to organisational business by below mentioned transactions:
- The Pearl Qatar US$2.5bil development project (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pearl-Qatar)
- US$500mil Syndicated Loan for a Chinese Leasing Company
- US$300mil Syndicated Loan for a Chinese Conglomerate (US$3.6bil market cap engages in chemical and fertilizer and oil & gas)
- US$4.1bil Gas Pipeline Project in Gulf Arabia
- Qr1.5bil Contract Financing for a Turkish Contractor for Qatar Petroleum Project
- Syndicated Loan for a Sovereign entity in hotel business
Aug 07 – Aug 08: RZB Bank, Austria (Based in Singapore)
Singapore branch of RZB Bank (Forbe’s World Best Bank with US$11bil market cap) and regulated by Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Supported customers in Asia Pacific in their investment activities
- Cracked US$30mil joint investment with an Indonesian group and a Chinese mining group in a commodity company
- Bagged US$30mil joint investment with an Indonesian group in a real estate project in the Philippines
Apr 06 – Aug 07: Affin Investment Bank Berhad, Malaysia (Based in Malaysia)
A Malaysian investment bank (division of Affin Bank (US$1bil market cap)) and regulated by Bank Negara Malaysia and ultimately owned by LTAT (Malaysian Military Pension Fund).
- Administered private placement of US$250 mil Suku Bond issuance in connection with US$50mil Short Term Note for a real estate development project
- Managed advisory work for US$810mil construction of coal power plant in India
Dec 02 – Mar 06: Client Plus Asia Inc. (Based in Hong Kong / Singapore)
Asia’s affiliate of a U.S. fund based in LA, California working primarily in private equity and M&A activities of unquoted companies.
- Managed advisory work for a US$100mil palm oil project in Papua New Guinea
- Steered advisory work for Kampuchea Tela Co. Ltd. in Cambodia
Nov 00 – Dec 02: OCBC Bank Ltd., Singapore (Based in Singapore)
Singapore’s local bank (US$35bil market cap) and regulated by Monetary Authority of Singapore with total asset of US$345bil.
Engaged in structured trade finance business for large corporate; assisted in deal origination for the investment banking division focusing mainly in debt securities, equity linked and hybrid-debt products.
Oct 97 – Oct 00: Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd., Japan (Based in Singapore) – Project Finance & Advisory (Origination & Syndication)
Currently known as Mizuho Corporate Bank (US$39bil market cap) after merger of then The Fuji Bank Ltd, IBJ and DKB Bank.
Assisted in structuring transactions involving Term Loan, Political Risk Insurance, Multi-lateral Agencies financing from ADB, World Bank, IFC and other commercial banking and trade finance products.
Sep 95 – Sep 97: CIMB Bank, Malaysia (Based in Singapore) – Corporate Banking / Syndication (Origination – Asia)
Currently known as CIMB Bank after rounds of merger with various successors of Bank Bumiputra Malaysia (100% owned by Ministry of Finance, Malaysia).
Engaged and support Head Office (Kuala Lumpur) in loan syndication (origination, execution and distribution) for large corporate for Asia region; provided corporate banking solutions to targeted clients in Asia that have trade with Malaysia.
1992 – 1995: Bachelor of Business from Nanyang Business School, Singapore (Top 100 University Globally)
1988 – 1989: Attained GCE Singapore-Cambridge A Level from Temasek Junior College (Top 5 in Singapore)
1984 – 1987: Attained GCE Singapore-Cambridge O Level from Tanjong Katong Technical Secondary School (Top 20 in Singapore)
Transactions List (1995 – 2002)
- Some of the projects include KSO in Indonesia (PT Telkom), satellite financing (Satelindo), cellular project in India (Tata Telecommunication), cement plant in Vietnam (Nihon Cement), industrial park in Jakarta (Marubeni), vessel (PERTAMINA / CPC Taiwan), power plant in Pakistan (Rousch Power / Siemens) and India (Dabhol), Singapore (Tech Semiconductor), toll road (Citra Maga / Malaysia PLUS – North-South Highway)
- Industries include Financial Institutions (Bank Bumi Daya / Bank Negara Indonesia) and industrial (Sinar Mars), property development (Ciputra), agriculture (Charapophan)
- Successfully secured mandate to lead a consortium of bank to pitch for StarHub
- Successfully executed transaction for Lumut Power Plant (Malaysian IPP)
- Led a consortium of banks in the managing of debt recovery for Satelindo
Distinguished Capabilities for China Business:
- Generated deal flow from established corporate (Top 500 Enterprises) that requires financing, restructuring, M&A advisory, research, fixed income and foreign exchange and getting mandates from China companies needing to raise funding outside China via bond issuance
- Initiated and sourced for potential targets (M&A related) for foreign investors entering China market in (1) Healthcare; (2) Agriculture; (3) Real Estate; (4) Mining
China / Hong Kong / Asia
- (US$1.6bil revenue) www.hongkongairlines.com
- (集團)有限公司 (US$52 bil revenue) www.crc.com.hk
- (US$6 bil revenue) www.herun.com
- (US$41bil market cap) www.evergrande.com
- (US$8.6bil market cap) www.chamc.com.cn
- (US$6 bil revenue) www.elion.com.cn
- OUE Limited (US$1.1bil market cap) www.oue.com.sg
Qatar / GCC
- Qatar Petroleum (US$51 bil revenue) www.qp.com.qa
- Qatar Investment Authority (US$1 trillion AUM) www.qia.qa
- Katara Hospitality www.katarahospitality.com
- Qatar Airways (US$11bil revenue) www.qatarairways.com
- (Shipping) (US$2bil market cap) www.milaha.com
- Suhail Bahwan Group (US$4bil revenue) www.suhailbahwangroup.com
- Oman Investment Fund (US$8bil AUM) www.oif.om
- Al Futtaim Group (US$60 bil revenue) www.alfuttaim.com